· 8 slices good quality bread I used thick cut Artisan bread · Mayonnaise for spreading · 20 oz of any cheese you like, grated or cut into thin slices. (Mozzarella, Gruyere, cheddar etc). · Salt and pepper to taste · Sliced veggies (such as mushrooms, caramelized onions, scallions, or tomatoes) · 3 Tbsp butter divided
1. Spread one side of two pieces of bread with a little bit of mayonnaise.
2. Place 1 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium Swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet with the melted butter.
3. Add both pieces of bread, mayonnaise side down, and cook until bread is golden brown and crunchy, about 2-3 minutes.
4. As soon as you add the bread to the skillet, add a bit of cheese to the top of each piece of bread. Once it starts to melt a little, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the veggies over the top of one of the pieces of bread.
5. When the bread is good and golden brown, sandwich the pieces of bread together and cook on LOW until cheese is fully melted.
6. Transfer to a plate, repeat with remaining slices of bread and ingredients.
7. Slice and enjoy!