Orange Olive Oil Cake
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan 3/4 cup sugar 2 eggs 1/3 cup olive oil 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Juice and zest of 1 orange
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the glaze: 3 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon honey or 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease and flour a loaf pan or a get a 12-muffin pan lined.
3. Mix the sugar and eggs in a medium bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until blended and light. Drizzle in the olive oil and vanilla and mix until light and smooth. Add the orange juice and zest and mix well.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another medium bowl. 5. Add the flour mixture half at a time to the wet ingredients and mix on low just to incorporate.
6. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake, 25 to 30 minutes.
While the cake is in the oven combine orange juice with honey in a small sauce pan and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes to create a syrup. Alternatively, if using confections sugar, whisk the juice and sugar in a small bowl, and set aside.
7. Remove the cake from the oven, if you made the syrup, pour over warm cake and let cool 15 minutes before serving; if you made the gaze, let cool for 15 minutes and glaze over.