2 onions 4 carrots 2 celery stalks 1/2 cup parsley 1/4 cup olive oil ½ teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons tomato paste 1/2 cup canned tomatoes 1-pound brown lentils 4 cups vegetable broth, plus 2 cups water 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, if needed
1. Chop the onions, carrots, celery, and parsley.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion, carrots, celery and parsley with the salt in olive oil for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables soften.
3. Add tomato paste and canned, chopped tomatoes, stir to combine.
4. Add lentils, broth and water.
5. Let cook for about an hour. Add cumin, cinnamon, pepper and extra salt.