Recipe by Chef Suzanne
1 tsp olive oil
3/4 cup onion (chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1/3 cup chopped carrots
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp or more black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tomato chopped
1-2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves (or use 1/2 tsp dried mint)
1/2 cup red lentils
2 1/2 cups to 3 water or vegetable broth
1/2-3/4 tsp salt or more salt
red pepper flakes (mint, lemon juice and olive oil for garnish)
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and pinch of salt and
cook until translucent. 5 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and the spices and mix well. You can also add in a good pinch of
cinnamon for variation. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomato, tomato ketchup and mint and mix and cook for 2 minutes. You can
add some veggies and greens veggies at this point.
4. Add the red lentils, water and salt and mix. Partially cover and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer for a few more minutes until the lentils are tender to preference. Taste and adjust salt and spice and mix in. Add
more water if needed.
6. Cool slightly and blend with an immersion blender or regular blender (carefully).
7. Serve in bowls with a garnish pepper flakes, lemon juice, a few drops of olive oil and
chopped fresh mint(optional). Serve with croutons or flatbread of choice or a side
Reheat in pot on low heat. Keep to a simmer. You can add a little lemon juice to brighten up the flavors if desired.